The Bill Payments module allows the property manager to process bills that have been paid on behalf of the owner and simultaneously print checks to the vendor. This feature can generate and print professional looking QuickBooks three-part checks, group multiple charges due to a particular company or account and print the charges onto a single check, making bill payments simple and easy. These bills can be exported to QuickBooks to eliminate double entry.
Some examples of bill payments include internet, cable, water, electricity, etc.
In addition to processing bill payments, the module also allows the property manager to print checks or generate ACH files to payout the vendors.
To access the Bill Payments module, go to:
- Accounting > Day to Day Bookkeeping
- Bill Payments
This table displays a wide variety of information that is associated will the bill or payment.
The available data columns are as follows:
- Date Bill Received -- This is the date that the Property Manager received the bill. This date can be changed in the Bill Payment summary window.
- Bill From -- The company, owner, or point of contact that the bill is from and whom is owed payment. This name will also be printed on the "Pay To the Order Of" line on the check.
- Ref / Check -- This is the check number associated to the bill payment. This number can be changed in the Bill Payments summary window.
- Amount -- The total amount due for the bill and will be the dollar amount printed on the check.
- Paid -- If checked, the selected bill would have been paid. Once a bill is marked as paid, it cannot be deleted, only voided.
- Date Bill Paid -- If the bill has not been market as paid, this date reflects the expected paid date. Once it's paid, it will reflect the date that it was paid.
- Memo -- Text seen in the Memo field will be printed on the memo line of the check.
- Invoice Number -- The number from the invoice if applicable.
- Comments -- Notes about a particular bill that can be saved with the bill payment.
- Void Bill -- If the bill was voided, a check-mark will appear in this column for reference.
Filter & Search Bills
Bill Payments can be filtered by the following:
- Date Range
- Due, Received, or Paid Date
- Unpaid, Paid, or Overdue Bills
- Invoice Number
Add a Bill Payment
To add an Adhoc Bill Payment:
- Click on the field, "Add New Bill For"
- Select Vendor
- Once the vendor is selected, click "Add Bill"
If the Vendor does not reflect in the drop-down menu, the vendor must be entered into the system. To enter a vendor into the system, click here
Bill Payment Screen
A bill record will be created for the selected vendor and the Bill Payment details window will appear.
This window is where various details of the bill will be inputted.
- In the 'Available Properties' list, select applicable units > Add Selected
- Enter the amount for each unit and click the "Save" icon
- Specify the bill received date and the payment due date and any other applicable details
- Specify the payment method (Check to print a check, or ACH to pay via ACH)
If the Owner Bills are configured within the Property Assistant for each specific utility company, the applicable properties will automatically appear within the "Included Properties" list for that vendor.
Pay by Check
To print a check to the utility company, be sure to enter the correct amounts and the dates that the bill was received. Then, specify check as the payment method and select "Print Check" at the bottom right of the window:
Select the check type and if the check number should be printed on the check. The standard check format is the 'QuickBooks Business laser' check where the pay stub is at the top followed by the two remittances. Or select, "Edit," to customize the check format from the print check window:
To print the check, select "Print." A new tab will open within the browser to view and print the check.
After printing the checks, a pop-up window will appear to confirm that they printed successfully. Click "Yes" to mark the bill as paid and simultaneously debit the amounts from the Owner Accounts.
Please note, once a bill payment has been marked as paid, it cannot be deleted or undone. Instead, a bill payment can be voided and a credit will apply to the Owners Account.
Void a Bill
As mentioned above, once a bill payment has been marked as paid, it cannot be deleted or undone.
To void a bill payment, click the "X" icon next to the bill:
Confirm by clicking the "Yes" button:
This will flag the bill as void and create a credit back to the owner account for the applicable properties.